Dressed up to get groceries

Or last minute Xmas gifts. Same thing.


I recently snagged a remote for my camera as a 'yay you survived midterms!' gift to myself. It is well past finals, and I'm finally using it.

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter


This is the Dapper Day dress, which I wore again for a business class presentation earlier this month. I figured it needed a proper debut.

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter

I'm slowly getting used to the remote and trying to pose naturally. It's gonna take me a bit, but this is very useful for when nobody is home and I want/need photos.

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter

I was elated to find the hat at the Buffalo Exchange anniversary, it's a damn near perfect match to the dress, just a teensy shade lighter.

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter


Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter


I am really fond of the fit of the dress. The material is a pain and a half, but it really works for the dress. The pattern was very straightforward, and I was able to finish this dress in a couple of days. One of my favorite details is the three darts on the sleeve.


Sewing Details

Fabric: Pale yellow synthetic. Gift from a friend.
Pattern: Advance 9925. View 1
Year: 1961
Notions: Covered buttons, self covered belt
How historically accurate is it? Pretty accurate. 
Any tricky parts to the pattern?  Eh, I got a bit better with bound-buttonholes on this. Figuring how the notches on the collar were going to go confused me, but after I pressed it, it all made sense.
Did you change anything?  According to notes, I put 'shortened pattern by 6 inches'. I'm going to assume 3 for the bodice, and 3 in the skirt.
Time to complete: February 14, 2014-February 21, 2014
First worn: Dapper Day at Disneyland
Total cost: Pattern was $12 from the Atomic Hideaway
Zipper was $2
Buttons were probably $3
Belt kit was $5
so $22 in total
Notes: If I were to make it in a synthetic similar, I'm totally using a lining. But next time, I'll make little belt carriers.

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter

Outfit Details:

Dress- Made by me
Hat- Buffalo Exchange
SHIELD necklace- Petite Royale
Earrings- SD vintage flea market
Bakelite bangles- various
Disneyland charm bracelet- eBay
Gloves- Melrose flea market
Stockings- What Katie Did
Shoes- Ross

Advance 9925- 1960's yellow dress ensemble by TinyAngryCrafter


1960's gold plated Disneyland charm bracelet- tinyangrycrafter

I love this Disneyland charm bracelet. I very rarely see them with the rocket from Tomorrowland on them!! (As I wrote this post, I did a quick google search, and they park did indeed offer them for purchase via a catalogue! On the 4th photo down, you see my bracelet!)


I had such an interesting confidence boost as I ran my errands this morning. People moved for me, and insisted they press the trolley open for me. I felt like a little ray of sunshine walking down the street on this bright winters day. Though as I walked down the Gaslamp Quarter for exercise, and to get the other trolley, I heard a bunch of interesting things shouted from cars, and from bars. I ignored a lot of it, only smiling when I got compliments, and older ladies said they liked my hat. My bank teller said I looked 'Very Jackie O!' so that brightened the rest of the afternoon.



Have any of you dressed up and ran your errands, were the people serving you surprised?


PS-
I talked it over with a friend, who suggested I turn the Pajama Party giveaway, to a giveaway to all blog readers. Now to figure out those widgets for giveaways, and to fix some links.

Labels: , , , , , , ,