A Tale of Two Yarns




Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.


Oh this Knit/Crochet Blog week will be FUN, I can feel it.

Now I've only worked with a few yarn types as when I go yarn shopping, I have a specific idea in mind. Good to have so I don't end up with an un-imaginable stash, I think. Haha!

The one type I use the most often is actually Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand. Yes, get your gasps out of the way, I use acrylic yarn. The reason I enjoy Vanna's is, it is a very soft yarn for what I use it for. Which are mostly amigurumi and small toys and accessories. I can use it for long periods of time without it making my hands ache, and it's just produces a soft object.
Now one for the first hats I decided to knit up with that yarn was a Star-Crossed Slouchy Beret. This was when I was just taking knitting on a regular basis seriously. Now don't get me wrong, it came out nice. but it just didn't have the same flow. I made the mistake of washing it, and it shrunk it a tad, so it doesn't fit right. I have yet to unravel it, but I'll get around to it.


The other type of yarn I've used was Patons Wool. The very first time I got to use it was to knit up Borneo for Alyoop's test knit. I was in love. I thought wool would be scratchy and unpleasant to work with, Oh boy, was I ever wrong. It was nice and soft, and sure I had to stop for a while to rest, but I had no discomfort from it! It produced a lovely product, which is what I'm looking for.
My mother has now asked me to make her a hat using some beautiful Red Patons wool. Her hat of choice is Meret, and she wants it extra slouchy. I can't wait for my break to start so I can make it for her.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to use other lovely yarns I've heard about. Alpaca has been one I've been wanting to try for a good while.


Take Care, and Happy Crafting.

Labels: , ,